Dürr Megtec provides a comprehensive turnkey approach for producing battery electrode coated materials. Our capabilities cover both ends of the production line, as well as everything in between. We provide systems for raw material handling, slurry mixing and fluid delivery, web handling, coating and drying, NMP solvent recovery and purification, calendering, and slitting.
Dürr Megtec has developed proprietary systems for the high-efficiency removal, recovery, and purification of solvents from coating line exhaust air streams in the battery electrode manufacturing process. These systems produce electronic-grade solvents and can be configured to achieve compliance with global and local emissions standards. System considerations could include:
- NMP recovery and its on-site dehydration/distillation has an extremely short return-on-investment cycle, compared to the cost of new NMP.
- In a laboratory environment with limited hours of operation, a carbon bed may be the most effective solution.
- For large industrial installations, such as mass manufacturing of battery electrodes, a condenser followed by either a concentrator or a scrubber is an effective solution. A final carbon bed solvent recovery system can be used to reduce the solvent output for applications requiring extremely low-level emissions to meet very strict requirements.
- The process is a closed-loop system. The exhaust air stream from the dryer is first pre-cooled via heat exchange with the dryer exhaust that is returned to the dryer as make-up air.
- The solvent is recovered from the exhaust stream via chilled water condensation.
- The exhaust air stream is reheated via heat exchange with the dryer exhaust and is returned to the dryer as make-up air.
- A small slip-stream resulting from air infiltration into the dryers is sent to a water scrubber or concentrator prior to being discharged to the atmosphere. In some cases, a carbon bed may be required.
- The liquid solvent can be reused onsite by sending it to a solvent distillation system for dehydration and purification, or it can be processed off-site.